Thursday, June 7, 2007

Who Is God?

Much has been written and said about this One named God. In His name beautiful things have been done and ugly wars have been fought. He is credited with the creation of worlds and children. Many people have received instructions about life that they claim came from this God. Who is He... really? How can we definitively know what He is like and maybe more importantly, what He wants us to be like?

I've been thinking about this lately. It seems to me that especially when we draw near to things that are clearly out of our control we are prone to look to this God. In times of terrorism we have asked God to "bless America". Weddings, funerals, baby dedications... many of these events invite God to preside (or so we say/pray). My family and I are in a time like that even now and I have been searching for this kind of help from God.

There are many comforts to be found in knowing and believing the Scriptures. It is the journal of God. I can read it to discover realities about God. There is a place to uncover mysteries that are greater than my understanding. So I went to this book - the Bible - to see some of the ways that God dealt with people. I decided to start in Genesis... the book of beginnings. The things I have learned and been reminded of about God are too many to print. Allow me to share a few:
  • God is creative... it's always been that way
  • God made people to be together
  • God knows everything about everything
  • God made people in His image
  • God loves protecting people
  • God reluctantly punishes people
  • God is merciful
  • God says hard things too... He's probably the only One who ever should
  • God knows what is in people's hearts... He's probably the only One who ever could
  • God keeps all of His promises... He's probably the only One who ever will
There are so many other things. These are just a few of the high points of the first few chapters. God's history is clear in the pages of His Word. His present and future are equally clear as He continues to act and move in the lives of real people and their circumstances.

No comments: