Monday, January 7, 2008

Road Trip

Many people have asked about my recent trip to Atlanta with Natalie (our oldest daughter). Let me give you some of the highlights from my perspective... I think she would agree with most of these.

The first thing you need to know is that this was a VERY intentional trip! Day 1 of this 8-day road trip I had "the talk".... no, not that one... with Natalie. I wanted her to know why she was on this trip. After all, her mom didn't get to come. Her sister and brother were left behind as well. I told her very simply that the reason she was on this special trip with me was because she is the oldest. I explained to her that as the oldest I expected more from her than I do of the others. I told her that I need her to get her head (and more importantly, her heart) around this whole moving to Georgia thing so that the others can follow her good example. I know pretty old-school stuff for a 13-year-old... but that is honestly how I feel about it. She not only heard me, she listened. The rest of our trip was proof.

Frankly, there are too many great moments to write them all. I will try to give you the highest points of 8 days of father-daughter bonding...
  1. 13 hours of driving each way (all most all of which was filled with real conversation)
  2. shopping at the Mall of Georgia (ok that was a high point for her)
  3. enjoying meals together (all of them - every day)
  4. watching movies together almost every night (and me explaining them to her)

2 comments:

Real Friends said...

hey i love your blog it is soo cool !

see ya later Rob .....

Autumn Gargano !!

Anonymous said...

I know hey you better remember me ...... my mom is going to make one soon to !!!